The Mayor has special powers and duties under Part VI.1 of the Municipal Act, 2001. These include powers to:
- Appoint and dismiss the City Manager as well as various senior managers; *
- Create committees of Council, assign their functions, and appoint the Chairs and Vice Chairs of committees of Council; *
- Propose the City’s budget subject to Council amendments, a Mayoral veto, and a Council override process;
- Submit matters for Council's consideration, or veto by-laws, if the Mayor believes it will advance a prescribed Provincial Priority; and
- Direct City staff in writing.
*The Mayor may choose to delegate these specific powers and duties.
Mayoral decisions made pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001
- November 7, 2023: MD2023-01 Written approval of bylaws passed at the November 7, 2023 meeting of City Council
- November 7, 2023: MD2023-02 Direction to the Chief Administrative Officer Regarding Operating and Capital Budget - Section 284.16 of the Municipal Act, 2001
- November 7, 2023: MD2023-03 Delegation of Powers to Chief Administrative Officer Regarding Organizational Structure and Employment Matters - Section 284.6 of the Municipal Act, 2001
- November 28, 2023: MD2023-04 Written approval of bylaws passed at the November 18, 2023 meeting of City Council
- December 5, 2023: MD2023-05 Written approval of bylaws passed at the December 5, 2023 meeting of City Council