Roundabouts have a number of benefits over traditional intersections, including:
- Safety: lower speeds and fewer points of conflict between vehicles. Crossing conflicts such as head on and right angle collisions are eliminated.
- Lower speeds: unlike at a green light at an intersection, vehicles need to slow down to use a roundabout.
- Higher capacity: high volumes of left turning vehicles is handled better by a roundabout than by a left-turn signal at a traditional intersection.
- Fewer stops and shorter delays: yielding at the entry of a roundabout takes less time than waiting for a green light at an intersection or for a gap in traffic at a stop sign.
- Less idling and air pollution: fewer delays reduces fuel consumption and improves air quality by reducing emissions.