Residential garbage bag limit changing on June 8
Jun 1, 2020
Effective June 8, the weekly residential garbage bag limit will change from four bags to two bags per household.
The City of Greater Sudbury temporarily increased the limit to four bags on March 26 to assist residents during the closure of landfill sites. Following the reopening of landfills on May 15, the City is gradually moving back to the regular one-bag limit. A date for changing from two bags to one has not been set.
The collection of Blue Box recycling, Green Cart organics and leaf and yard trimmings remains unlimited.
Residents are reminded to continue to place garbage in a secure, tied bag. Residents who use garbage containers must place tied bags inside the container. Garbage containers that contain loose or unbagged waste will not be collected. Recyclable items should be placed loosely in the Blue Box.
Place your leaf and yard trimmings at the road on your regular scheduled collection day. Due to an increased volume in roadside collection items, a second truck may be dispatched to collect them, which can take up to two weeks. Please leave your bags at the road. Crews are working hard to get caught up over the coming weeks.
Landfill Sites, Household Hazardous Waste Depot and Recycling Centre
• The Sudbury, Azilda and Hanmer landfills are open Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. In order to maintain physical distancing, access to the site will be limited and residents should be prepared for longer than usual wait times at all sites. The City has set up a live camera at the Sudbury landfill site so that residents can see how busy it is before they make the trip. Check out the live feed at www.greatersudbury.ca/landfill-livestream.
• The landfill reuse store remains closed.
• The Walden Small Vehicle Transfer Station is open Monday to Friday, from noon to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The Household Hazardous Waste Depot is open on select Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 pm. The next opening date is June 13. Residents are reminded to deliver all hazardous waste in sealed and labelled containers, and to remain in their vehicles as the site attendants remove the hazardous waste from their vehicles.
• The Recycling Centre is open to the public, but the front counter remains closed.
Download the Waste Wise app to receive pick-up day reminders, schedule large furniture, appliance or electronic item pickups, order a blue box or green cart, search the what-goes-where database, and much more. The app is available on the Google Play or App Store by searching for “Greater Sudbury Waste Wise”.