Downtown Community Improvement Plan
The City of Greater Sudbury has developed a Community Improvement Plan (CIP) for Downtown Sudbury. The CIP aims to address challenges facing Downtown Sudbury by using financial mechanisms (grants and loans) to reduce the cost of development and redevelopment in Downtown Sudbury.
The overall goal of these efforts would be to reinforce the Downtown’s role as the biggest, brightest and best downtown in northern Ontario.
Expression of Interest DSCIP (pdf)
The purpose of this CIP is to:
1. Revitalize Downtown Sudbury;
2. Increase the residential population of the downtown;
3. Create and retain employment opportunities;
4. Grow the municipal assessment base;
5. Grow the municipal property tax revenue;
6. Repair and intensify the existing urban fabric with compatible projects;
7. Take advantage of existing infrastructure; and,
8. Enhance the quality of the public realm
WHERE DOES IT APPLY?
The CIP applies to lands within Downtown Sudbury.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
Property owners and tenants located in Downtown Sudbury are eligible to participate. Please contact the City of Greater Sudbury Planning Services Division to verify if your property is eligible.
WHAT INCENTIVES ARE AVAILABLE?
Six financial incentive programs are available under the Downtown Sudbury CIP to help stimulate development and redevelopment. The available programs are:
• Tax Increment Equivalent Grant Program
• Façade Improvement Program
• Planning and Building Fee Rebate Program
• Residential Incentive Program (Per-door grant)
• Feasibility Grant Program
• Downtown Sudbury Multi-Residential Interest-Free Loan Program
These programs can be used in conjunction with other incentive programs offered by the City or other levels of government. The total amount of incentives shall not exceed eligible costs.
Please contact the City of Greater Sudbury Planning Services Division for more details.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Interested applicants are encouraged to contact City of Greater Sudbury Planning Services Division to arrange for a pre-consultation meeting. Applicants may also complete and return the application form to the contact listed below. All applications will be reviewed by staff and are subject to City Council approval.
For further information regarding this initiative, please contact:
Ed Landry, MUP, MCIP, RPP
Planning Services Division
City of Greater Sudbury
200 Brady Street East, 3rd Floor
Sudbury, Ontario P3A 5P3
Tel: (705) 674-4455 ext. 4298
Fax: (705) 673-2200