Trucking Regulations

Under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA), the City of Greater Sudbury has a number of by-laws which regulate the movement of trucks through the City.

Truck Routes

To address the needs of the trucking industry and to limit the detrimental effects of trucking on specific roadways, the City of Greater Sudbury has established a network of roads designated for use by heavy vehicles. The following is an excerpt from the City of Greater Sudbury’s Traffic and Parking By-law 2010-1, pertaining to truck routes (Part 4 Section 27 Truck Routes):

"No person shall operate a heavy vehicle on any highway within the City other than on the parts of the highway set out in Schedule “Q” hereof, provided however, that any commercial motor vehicle may be operated on any highway in the City for the purpose of delivering or receiving, loading or unloading goods, wares, merchandise or materials or in proceeding to or from a garage or other premises for the housing or repair of such motor vehicle and provided that:
i) such deviation shall be made at a point on one of the said truck routes nearest by road to where the service is performed, and
ii) on completion of the conduct of business such vehicle shall return by the shortest route to the nearest truck route.

How Do I Know if I am Driving a Heavy Vehicle?

A heavy vehicle is any commercial vehicle, having a gross vehicle weight of five tonnes or more.

How Do I Know which Roads are Truck Routes?

All truck routes are posted with the appropriate regulatory signs.  A list of all truck routes is available here (pdf 70 KB).  A map showing all truck routes is available here (pdf 744 KB).

Reduced Load Period (Half-Loading)

To reduce the effects heavy vehicles have on roadways during the spring thaw, the City of Greater Sudbury has declared a period of reduced loading on certain roads for the period from March 1 to May 31 inclusive.  The actual duration of the restriction may vary depending on the road conditions.  During the reduced load period, the maximum allowable weight shall not exceed five tonnes per axle.  All roads covered by half loading are posted with the appropriate regulatory signs.

Oversize Load Permits

The City of Greater Sudbury issues permits to allow the movement of oversized / overweight vehicles and loads which exceed the limits set out in the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) on roads under its jurisdiction.

How Do I Know if I Need a Permit?

You require a permit if your vehicle and/ or your load exceeds the limit set out in the Highway Traffic Act (HTA).  The following can be used as a guide; however, there are exceptions under the HTA.

Over Width

Any vehicle and load greater than 2.6 m (8 ft. 6 in.)

Over Height

Any vehicle and load exceeding 4.15 m (13 ft. 6 in.)

Over Length
  • Single vehicle including load greater than 12.5 m (41 ft.)
  • Semi trailer greater than 14.65 m (48 ft.)
  • Combination of vehicles and load greater than 23.0 m (75 ft.)
Over Weight

Axle and/or gross vehicle weight exceeds the limits set out in the HTA.

Where Can I Obtain a Permit?

Permits for the City of Greater Sudbury are available online by clicking on the following links.

Single Trip Permit (pdf 58 KB)

Project Permit (pdf 61 KB)

Annual Permit - Floated (pdf 96 KB)

Annual Permit - Self-Propelled (pdf 128 KB)

Completed application forms may be faxed to 705-560-6109 or emailed to

There is a fee for the permit and payment can be made by cash or cheque, payable to the City of Greater Sudbury.  Single trip, project and annual permits are available.  The permit fees for 2016 are as follows:

  • Single Trip Permit - $76
  • Project Permit - $320
  • Annual Permit - $450

All oversize load permits are HST exempt.

Will there be any Conditions?

To ensure public safety, reduce the risk of property damage and minimize inconvenience to other road users, certain conditions may be imposed on the permit.  The conditions will vary depending on the dimensions of the vehicle/load and the duration of the permit.  Click here for a guide to some of our requirements (pdf 207 KB).  Other affected agencies may also impose conditions.