311 Call Tracker: COVID-19

Dial 311, Web Chat at 311.greatersudbury.ca or email 311@greatersudbury.ca to reach friendly and knowledgeable Customer Service Representatives for help with questions, service requests or issues related to municipal services.

For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, residents can contact 311 to report unauthorized use of closed municipal facilities, gatherings of more than five people, failure to self-isolate following international travel and continued operation of non-essential workplaces.

See the number and categories of requests received by 311 each day. To view in full-screen mode, please click here.

Due to the rapidly changing nature of the COVID-19 situation, please note this page was last updated: Jan 15, 2021 at 11:21:23 AM