Demolition Permit

COVID-19 Update – June 11, 2021

As of Friday, June 11, Greater Sudbury will enter step one of the Province’s Roadmap to Reopen. The roadmap outlines a three-step plan to safely and gradually ease public health measures and reopen the province.

Services at Tom Davies Square remain available by appointment. Contact 311 by phone or Live Web Chat ( to make an appointment or discuss alternate service. Many services are available by telephone or through the Customer Service Portal at

The Homelessness Network Day Centre, located at 199 Larch St., is unaffected by these service changes.

COVID-19 Permit Submission Process

Option 1 – To schedule an appointment for drop-off or for more information call 705-674-4455 ext 4278. Residents attending Tom Davies Square for appointments will be screened, as per Public Health guidelines.

Option 2 – Electronic Submission. Please fill out our Building Application Form. Please see the checklists to understand what type of documents you will need for your type of construction, this will also help with an electronic submission (print fees will apply).

For more information visit

Planning Services

Data, Maps and Aerial Photos 

A demolition permit is required before you take down all or part of a building.

The process is much the same as for a building permit; however, your application may be affected by special situations. For example, if a building has historical or architectural significance, it may be designated as a heritage building under the Ontario Heritage Act and Council approval from the City of Greater Sudbury will be required. In some cases, you must hire a professional engineer to oversee the demolition

The basic minimum fee for a demolition permit is:

  • $108 for regular buildings or
  • $143 if building exceeds 3 storeys in building height or 6,458 square foot (under section of Ontario Building Code). 

Clearance from the City of Greater Sudbury and following utilities must be obtained and submitted to Building Services before your demolition permit application can be processed and a permit issued.If you are fully or partially demolishing a structure contact Building Services at 705-674-4455, Ext. 4278 for more information.

To verify if the building is protected under the Heritage Act:

Real Estate Section
Tom Davies Square
200 Brady St
705-674-4455, Ext. 4373

To locate sewers and water mains or for the disconnection of water service:

City Engineering Services
Sewer & Water
Tom Davies Square 200 Brady St
705-674-4455, Ext. 4253


Bell Canada
6-1-1 to have service disconnected

Greater Sudbury Hydro Inc.
If you reside in Capreol, Coniston, Falconbridge or Sudbury - to confirm hydro service is to be disconnected go to 500 Regent Street, Sudbury, Ontario
Hydro One
If you reside in Garson, Skead, Wahnapitae OR in the areas of Onaping Falls, Rayside-Balfour, Valley East and Walden, contact 1-888-664-9376
Union Gas
1-888-774-3111 to have service retired.  Building Services will fax Union Gas to confirm service has been retired.

Please provide as much lead time as possible, at least one (1) week before you dig. Have a pen ready as you will be given some information you need to write down for future reference.