The City's Real Estate Appraiser advises Council and City Staff on property valuation matters to facilitate their decision-making processes relating to leasing, acquisition, disposition and expropriation of municipal property. Some of the functions of the Real Estate Appraiser include:
- parkland dedication land estimates carried out for severances and subdivision development;
- market value estimates performed for the acquisition and disposition of real estate;
- developing terms of reference, reviewing proposals and awarding and monitoring contracts when third party appraisal services are required;
- carrying out market rental studies to establish or validate lease amounts;
- analyzing municipal property assessment values for taxation purposes; and
- participation in consultations with stakeholders for various municipal projects which require real estate planning.