Notice of Claim

How to Submit a Claim to the City

The City of Greater Sudbury has a Claims Unit to investigate and respond to all claims made against the City and its insurers from persons who believe the City is responsible for their loss.

In order to submit a claim to the City, claimants need not be aware of the full extent or amount of damage suffered at the time of making the claim but the notice of claim should be in writing on the attached Notice of Claim Form (PDF 43 KB), providing the following information:

  • name, address and telephone number of the person making the claim;
  • date, location and approximate time of the incident giving rise to the claim;
  • details of the incident/accident (was the area under construction, are weather conditions applicable, were the Police notified?)
  • apparent cause of the damage suffered (to the extent it is known);
  • nature of damaged suffered (i.e. personal injury, property damage, loss or property, expenses incurred etc.); and
  • date of claim or notification.

Correspondence may be submitted to our office as follows:


Fax: 705-673-0344

In Person: At any Citizen Service Centre in Capreol, Chelmsford, Dowling, Garson, Hanmer, Lively and Sudbury.


City of Greater Sudbury
Insurance and Risk Management Section
200 Brady St.
P.O. Box 5000, Stn. A
Sudbury, ON P3A 5P3

The Claims Unit will ensure that the claims are acknowledged, investigated, tracked, evaluated and resolved.

If you have any questions, please contact our general claims line at 705-674-4455, ext. 2223 or e-mail at