A person is eligible to vote in the upcoming Municipal and School Board Election if they:
- Are a resident in the local municipality or are the owner or tenant of land there, or the spouse of such owner or tenant;
- Are a Canadian citizen;
- Are at least 18 years old; and
- Are not prohibited from voting under subsection 17 (3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 or otherwise by law.
Subsection 17(3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 prohibits the following persons from voting:
- A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution;
- A corporation;
- A person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity; and
- A person who was convicted of the corrupt practice described in subsection 90 (3) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which the person was convicted.