Truck Driver (St. Clair) EX22-760
Posting date: June 21, 2022
Job Title: Truck Driver
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting number: EX22-760
Status: Limited Position
Estimated Probable Duration: Until October 28, 2022
Should there be no fully qualified candidate for this position, a less qualified candidate who can be expected to meet the required qualifications within a reasonable period may be considered for this position as a training/development opportunity.
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes (shift work may be required)
Rate of Pay: $27.80 per hour
(Training Opportunity rate of pay is $26.41 per hour. The successful candidate will be paid at the reduced rate until the minimum qualifications have been met.)
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: St. Clair
Section: Roads Operations
Division: Linear Infrastructure Services
Department: Growth and Infrastructure
Duties: Under the supervision of a Foreperson.
1. Safely operate and control a truck in accordance with all applicable policies, procedures and legislation.
2. Transport personnel, material, merchandise, equipment or refuse.
3. Load and unload trucks by hand (i.e. shovel) or mechanical device (e.g. loader, backhoe, etc.).
4. Oversee up to three workers in the performance of routine duties.
5. Perform routine general labour, as directed.
6. Conduct daily vehicle inspections and complete routine cleaning of vehicles. Report suspected mechanical defects promptly in accordance with procedures.
7. Perform the duties of flag person and assist in traffic control, as directed.
8. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
9. Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Completion of a formal DZ driver training/certification program, considered an asset.
- Must have two (2) years of experience driving a commercial vehicle that requires a DZ license or greater.
- Experience operating heavy or light trucks with standard attachments such as snow plows, snow wings and salt/sand spreader units, etc.), considered an asset.
- Must be capable of obtaining and maintaining coding/certification for the operation of heavy or light trucks with standard attachments such as snow plows, snow wings, salt/sand spreader units, etc., through the internal training/coding process.
- Must be physically capable of operating equipment with mechanical or hydraulic control systems.
- Must hold ability to interact with the general public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
- Must be able to read and follow written instructions and policy directives.
- Must be familiar with applicable legislation and regulations and demonstrate a commitment to safe work practices.
- Must contribute to a team environment in a positive manner.
- Must be able to write necessary shift reports and operate a mobile radio.
- Must be able to effectively complete M.M.M.S. Crew Cards.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid Class “DZ” driver's licence and have an acceptable driving record.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-760 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 29, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury has launched a survey to understand what prospective employees are looking for from an employer. Please take a few minutes to provide us with your input. Your responses will be anonymous. Thank you in advance for your participation in the survey!
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.