Telecommunications Technician EX20-030
Employment Opportunity Notice: EX20-030
Reporting Location: 199 Larch Street
Estimated Probable Duration: Up to Seven (7) Months
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Client Services Section, Information Technology Division, Corporate Services Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Telecommunications Technician. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $33.11 to $40.65 per hour.
Under the supervision of the Client Services Manager.
- Provide end user support and training across the full range of telecommunication systems, applications and voice messaging systems.
- Develop training courses including associated training materials.
- Make necessary changes/moves/additions/deletions to all corporate phone systems (i.e. PBX, Key, digital, Centrex, cellular and VOIP systems) including programming and configuration of handsets, management of voice mail and call centre systems.
- Prioritize requests based on most critical situations. Identify, log and analyse support issues; resolve problems. Direct unresolved issues to the appropriate area of specialization. Ensure end user satisfaction by monitoring each support call received through to completion.
- Provide guidance and recommendations in the appropriate use of hardware and software for telecommunications while promoting overall client self-reliance.
- Maintain inventory of all telephone and communication hardware and software, analog lines, DSL or OPX circuits and locations.
- Liaise with appropriate outside organizations regarding hardware or software telecommunications support issues. Maintain and organize a list of solutions for reference by departmental staff.
- Develop and maintain a procedure manual.
- Install, maintain, configure and upgrade computer telecommunications servers, Voice over IP (VOIP) systems, Blackberry Enterprise servers, other PBX systems and all related software applications including unified messaging software and Call Centre software. Assemble, connect and configure all telecommunications peripherals. Install and configure/support unified messaging software at the desktop. Co-ordinate systems and changes with the Information Technology Network staff to ensure timely and accurate functionality.
- Plan, implement and configure telecommunication network systems and infrastructure including, but not limited to routers, switchers, servers, telephone products, security, antivirus strategies, backup procedures, and any other connected telecom devices.
- Maintain fleet of wireless telephony and data devices (i.e. cell phones, blackberries, etc.). Order, configure, setup and assist/train users as required. Make necessary ESN changes and coordinate all repairs with providers and end users. Configure blackberry devices and data services; maintain accounts on associated servers.
- Assist with planning and design of telecom systems and services. Keep abreast of emerging telecommunication changes and technologies. Train support technicians as required to troubleshoot PC/telephone based issues.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Community College Diploma in Microcomputers and Systems or Telecommunications Systems or equivalent.
- Minimum two (2) years of related experience dealing with end user telecommunications support in a networked environment with various centrex, key, cellular, digital and VOIP PBX systems and experience dealing with the configuration and troubleshooting of various network and communications components for Data/voice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of centrex, key, cellular, digital and VOIP PBX systems.
- Knowledge of server and switch configurations/maintenance/troubleshooting.
- Experience with Blackberry and other cellular devices.
- Experience with training users.
- Demonstrate knowledge of PC hardware and installation of software applications.
- Experience with networks, switches, TCP/IP.
- Understanding of Windows, Corel Office, Microsoft Office, Novell GroupWise and other office automation corporate software standards.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Effective oral and written communications skills.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Satisfactory keyboarding ability.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: email@example.com Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX20-030) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.