Swimming Instructor/Lifeguards EX21-498
Employment Opportunity Notice
The City of Greater Sudbury
Reporting Location: Various Pools -
Nickel District Pool, R.G. Dow Pool, Gatchell Pool,
Howard Armstrong Recreation Centre, Onaping Pool
Casual Part Time Positions
Up to 48 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required)
Applications will be considered for both current and future vacancies
and will be kept on file during this recruitment period.
The Recreation Services Section, Leisure Services Division, Community Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires Swimming Instructor/Lifeguard(s) – Recruitment Pool. The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $20.72 to $23.61 per hour.
Under the direct supervision of the Recreation Co-ordinator or the Recreation Centre Co-ordinator and Aquatic Trainer.
1. Instruct/Lifeguard when required.
2. Ensure that each class or swim receives proper supervision.
3. Respond to emergency situations and perform First Aid as required.
4. Always be on deck in uniform, before the public.
5. Complete accident/incident/parent report/complaint forms as required as soon as possible after an occurrence.
6. Be familiar with and adhere to sections of the Health Protection and Promotion Act Regulation 565/90, and ongoing amendments which apply to public swimming pools.
7. Ensure all pool equipment is at its proper location in good condition. Report articles to the Manager of Recreation Services and his/her Designate.
8. Promote the concept of “Leisure Swimming”.
9. Prevent accidents by having a high degree of vigilance, training, fitness and by educating swimmers on safe water practices.
10. Act as a cashier when required by accepting the appropriate fee and issuing tickets/stamps.
11. Enforce all pool rules.
12. Attend and participate in staff in-service training.
13. Tidy the deck and guard room at the end of each swim period.
14. Conduct water tests if required.
15. Perform janitorial duties as directed.
16. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
17. Perform other related duties as required.
- Must possess and maintain a current National Lifeguard Service Certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a current Lifesaving Society Instructors Certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a current Standard First Aid and C.P.R. – Level C Certificate from one of the following agencies: Lifesaving Society, Red Cross, St. John’s Ambulance, Canadian Ski Patrol.
- Up to six (6) months of related experience.
- Knowledge of the Public Health Act on swimming pools.
- Demonstrate ability to deal with the public in a courteous manner.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Provide, at own cost, a Criminal Reference Check.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
How to Apply:
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.