Solid Waste Specialist (2) EX21-379
Employment Opportunity Notice
The City of Greater Sudbury
Solid Waste Specialist (2)
Reporting Location: 1805 Frobisher
Regular Part Time Positions
Up to 48 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Solid Waste Support Services Section, Environmental Services Division, Growth and Infrastructure Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires two (2) Solid Waste Specialist(s). The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $26.69 to $31.58 per hour.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Solid Waste Support Services.
1. Respond to customer service requests and/or complaints and initiate action with City of Greater Sudbury (CGS) staff and/or contractors. Ensure follow-up.
2. Prepare reports, correspondence, educational packages, billing advices, reconcile deposits and prepare PeopleSoft purchase orders.
3. Update the database and/or inventory of solid waste records. Assist with the submission of supporting documentation for funding organizations.
4. Conduct inspections of solid waste sites, facilities, and systems.
5. Conduct participation surveys and waste audits; sample waste according to design parameters; sort waste according to prescribed procedures; measure waste and document findings.
6. Coordinate new project initiatives and assist with existing solid waste programs when requested.
7. Assist with the development and set-up of various waste diversion/recycling programs.
8. Conduct community outreach activities when requested.
9. Assist staff during period of vacation, overload or absence.
10. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
11. Perform other related duties as required.
- University degree in Environmental Studies/Sciences or a related discipline from a recognized University with Canadian accreditation.
- Up to six (6) months of related experience.
- Knowledge of solid waste systems and programs.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and By-Laws.
- Ability to work with computer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (e.g. file maintenance, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, PeopleSoft, information input and retrieval, customer relationship management software, fleet management, Traffic Studio, Wasteworks, GIS software and other web-based application and reporting systems).
- Ability to demonstrate interpersonal skills dealing with the public, staff, outside agencies, and Councillors in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills and attention to detailed work.
- Ability to function within a team environment.
- Ability to handle large-volume functions.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or facsimile number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX21-379) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.