Secretary/Finance Clerk EX22-060
Posting date: January 13, 2022
Job Title: Secretary/Finance Clerk
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting number: EX22-060
Status: Limited position
Estimated Probable Duration: Seven (7) Months
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: No
Range of Pay: $24.52 to $28.84 per hour (Subject to Review)
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
Division: Finance, Assets and Fleet
Department: Corporate Services
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director of Finance, Assets and Fleet.
1. Act as receptionist for the Division, directing clients to the appropriate personnel.
2. Open and distribute mail and faxes, receive and respond to telephone and public inquiries and/or direct to applicable source.
3. Type and format letters, memos, create presentations, spreadsheets and templates; ensure work is free of spelling and grammatical errors.
4. Type and format Council/Committee reports in Agendas Online.
5. Prepare reports and associated analyses, and routine correspondence as required.
6. Prepare and distribute Human Resources related forms and notifications (e.g. Relieving Pay, Notice of Hire, Notice of Change, Employee Requisitions, etc.).
7. Make travel arrangements for Division staff; verify accuracy of travel expense claim forms.
8. Arrange appointments, prepare agendas, co-ordinate meetings, book facilities and equipment, take and transcribe minutes.
9. Control and issue numerical sequence of donation receipts.
10. Sort and distribute accounts payable and receivable cheques; co-ordinate distribution of progress payments to contractors.
11. Calculate and prepare payments for insurance purposes.
12. Sort and distribute financial information to other departments, as required.
13. Perform payroll duties (e.g. time entry, compiling cost centre reports, distribution of pay stubs, etc.).
14. Maintain current and archived files and records including a “Bring Forward” system.
15. Maintain the Finance, Assets and Fleet Division’s main page on CGS website.
16. Order office supplies and process special orders (e.g. equipment repairs, maintenance requests, etc.).
17. Prepare requisitions and purchase orders, using PeopleSoft functionality, as required.
18. Maintain petty cash including monthly reconciliation. Prepare petty cash replenishment forms.
19. Provide assistance to the Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director of Finance Assets and Fleet during periods of overload, vacation or illness.
20. Sort and distribute Accounts Payable cheques and coordinate distribution of progress payments to contractors.
21. Accept, compile and process electronic funds transfer requests and verify information for payment notifications.
22. Assist with processing invoices and cheque requisitions for payment in accordance with CGS policies, procedures and by-laws with emphasis on the Purchasing By-Law. Verify signing authority as per the Purchasing authority Policy and that appropriate supporting documentation is provided.
23. Assist with reviewing and sorting of incoming Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable paper mail and e-mail, and distribution to appropriate staff/departments.
24. Assist with vendor statement reconciliation, verification of payment details, and processing of billing advices.
25. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
26. Perform other related duties as required.
- Satisfactory completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over one (1) year and up to and including two and one-half (2½) years of related office experience, preferably within an accounting setting.
- Demonstrate organizational ability and administrative skills.
- Knowledge of financial practices and terminology considered an asset.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft functionality relating to Payroll, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Purchase Order modules.
- Satisfactory keyboarding skills (60 words per minute).
- Demonstrate and proven ability related to computer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (e.g. files maintenance, word processing, computerized spreadsheet applications, presentation software, Corel and PowerPoint Presentations, information input and retrieval, etc.).
- Demonstrate ability to take dictation and transcribe by hand and/or by mechanical recorder.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills in dealing with Councillors, the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked and team environment.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Physical capability to operate a vehicle safely, possession of a valid driver’s licence and an acceptable driving record, will be considered an asset.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-060 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Friday, January 21, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.