Program Instructor (Ski/Snowboard Instructor) EX22-1174
Posting date: November 8, 2022
Job Title: Program Instructor (Ski/Snowboard Instructor) – (Recruitment Pool)
Number of Vacancies: 40
Posting number: EX22-1174 *Revised (Extended Closing Date)
Status: Contract part time positions
Estimated Probable Duration: until March 19, 2023 (weather permitting)
Hours of Work: up to 48 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes
Range of Pay: $17.05 to $19.95 per hour
Initial Reporting Location: Adanac Ski Hill
Section: Recreation Services
Division: Leisure Services
Department: Community Development
Applications will be considered for both current and future vacancies for the 2022/2023 winter Season.
Main Function: To assist in the design of a program (e.g., Art, Tai Chi, Dance, Youth, Skiing, Snowboarding, Cycling, etc.) that encourages safety and class participation, and to deliver the program.
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Recreation Co-ordinator or the Recreation Centre Co-ordinator and Aquatic Trainer.
1. Assist to develop, implement and evaluate a program that encourages safety and class participation and to deliver the program (e.g., Art, Tai Chi, Dance, Youth, Skiing, Snowboarding, Cycling, etc.).
2. Perform proper techniques as to not cause injury or harm to any participant in the program.
3. Provide support and leadership to all participants and instruct at the level for which he/she is qualified.
4. Be attentive and alert to the regards of all participants in the program.
5. Maintain a clean/safe activity space and ensure that equipment is maintained and properly set up.
6. Responsible for being aware of the recreation facility policies and ensure the proper use of the facility by participants.
7. Inform immediate Supervisor of any misconduct by a participant in the program.
8. Maintain accurate attendance records and ensure Program Evaluation Forms are distributed to participants.
9. Assist to ensure adherence to procedures and operational policies, including the proper cash handling procedures, as required.
10. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
11. Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade X) Education.
For Skiing must possess Canadian Ski Instructor Alliance (CSIA) Level I.
For Snowboarding must possess Canadian Association Snowboard Instructors (CASI) Level I.
Must hold current CPR and First Aid Certificate for designated positions.
Up to six (6) months of related experience in the designated program area.
Best practices within program of service area, including creative activities related to program.
For Ski Instructor – Familiarity with the CSIA Skier Development Program “Mini Viking”.
For Snowboard Instructor – Familiarity with the CASI “Quick Ride” Program.
Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
Demonstrate ability to deal with a variety of user groups.
Demonstrate participation in continuing education courses and workshops.
Demonstrate commitment to the philosophy and goals of CGS’s programs.
Understand and meet the needs of customers.
Work and act independently and use initiative when required.
Work evenings and weekends, if applicable.
Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
French verbal and written skills an asset.
Provide at own cost, a Criminal Records Check, for designated positions.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-1174 *Revised are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 9, 2023. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury has launched a survey to understand what prospective employees are looking for from an employer. Please take a few minutes to provide us with your input. Your responses will be anonymous. Thank you in advance for your participation in the survey!
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.