Program Instructor (40) (Ski/Snowboard Instructors) (Recruitment Pool) EX20-542
Employment Opportunity Notice: EX20-542
Program Instructor (40)
Reporting Location: Adanac Ski Hill
Contract Part Time Positions
Estimated Probable Duration: Until March 23, 2021
Up to 48 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required)
Applications will be considered for both current and future vacancies for the 2020/2021 winter season.
The Recreation Services Section, Leisure Services Division, Community Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires forty (40) Program Instructor(s) – Ski/Snowboard Instructors. The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $16.54 to $19.35 per hour.
To assist in the design of a program (e.g. Skiing, Snowboarding) that encourages safety and class participation, and to deliver the program.
Under the general supervision of the Recreation Co-ordinator.
- Assist to develop, implement and evaluate a program that encourages safety and class participation and to deliver the program (e.g. Skiing, Snowboarding).
- Perform proper techniques as to not cause injury or harm to any participant in the program.
- Provide support and leadership to all participants and instruct at the level for which he/she is qualified.
- Be attentive and alert to the regards of all participants in the program.
- Maintain a clean/safe activity space and ensure that equipment is maintained and properly set up.
- Responsible for being aware of the recreation facility policies and ensure the proper use of the facility by participants.
- Inform immediate Supervisor of any misconduct by a participant in the program.
- Maintain accurate attendance records and ensure Program Evaluation Forms are distributed to participants.
- Assist to ensure adherence to procedures and operational policies, including the proper cash handling procedures, as required.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade X) Education.
- For Skiing must possess Canadian Ski Instructor Alliance (CSIA) Level I.
- For Snowboarding must possess Canadian Association Snowboard Instructors (CASI) Level I.
- Must hold current CPR and First Aid Certificate for designated positions.
- Up to six (6) months of related experience in the designated program area.
- Best practices within program of service area, including creative activities related to program.
- For Ski Instructor – Familiarity with the CSIA Skier Development Program “Mini Viking”.
- For Snowboard Instructor – Familiarity with the CASI “Quick Ride” Program.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Demonstrate ability to deal with a variety of user groups.
- Demonstrate participation in continuing education courses and workshops.
- Demonstrate commitment to the philosophy and goals of CGS’s programs.
- Understand and meet the needs of customers.
- Work and act independently and use initiative when required.
- Work evenings and weekends, if applicable.
- Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal skills and written skills an asset.
- Provide at own cost, a Criminal Records Check, for designated positions.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or facsimile number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX20-542) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.