Maintenance Technician I (EX22-576)
Posting date: May 12, 2022
Job Title: Maintenance Technician I
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting number: EX22-576
Status: Limited Position
Estimated Probable Duration: Up to Twelve (12) Months
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes – Days/Afternoons
Rate of Pay: $26.77 per hour
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: 159 Louis Street
Division: Housing Operations
Department: Community Development
In order to fulfill the on-call requirements for this position, preference will be given to candidates who live within 10 kms of 159 Louis Street.
Must be able to participate in after hours on call rotation for emergencies.
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and Manager of Maintenance Services.
1. Janitorial: minor cleaning when required includes; dusting, polishing, washing, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, shampooing, garbage collection, moving furniture, floor stripping, waxing vacant unit preparation, etc.
2. Maintenance: minor repairs including; plumbing, electrical, heating/venting, carpentry, painting, flooring, ceramic tiles, hardware, appliances, drywall, vacant unit preparation, assistance with contractor entries into units, etc.
3. Groundskeeping: maintenance including; mowing and trimming grass, pruning, planting, cultivating, watering, raking, sweeping, litter pick up, garbage collection, sanding, salting, clearing walks of snow and ice, etc.
4. General: participate including, moving furniture/appliances, waste management/recycling program, showing vacant units to prospective tenants, assisting staff and contractors, assisting emergency officials, responding to emergencies and call outs, other related duties.
5. Location of Work: primarily all buildings and properties within an assigned portfolio area and occasionally within all other portfolio areas, properties and buildings within the GSHC portfolio as assigned, including;
a. Interior Building – space/areas and rooms including; public, apartment units, service, storage, equipment, vacant units, etc.
b. Exterior Building – space/areas and rooms including; roof, balcony, wall, openings, garage, etc.
c. Grounds – yard area including; stoops, walks, service drives, lawn(s), parking, etc.
d. Other – assignments including; temporary redeployment to other areas.
6. Recording and Accountability:
a. Complete building systems reports including preventive maintenance logs, work logs, smoke detector tests, fire log book, work order forms, inventory logs, WHMIS, etc.
b. Report to supervisor required maintenance repairs, progress reports, tenant disturbances.
c. Log tenant requests, complete and log work orders.
7. Will be required to participate in a standby rotation to perform after-hours emergency calls.
8. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
9. Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over (1) year up to and including two and a half (2½) years of related experience.
- A good working knowledge, skill and ability to complete janitorial cleaning methods, minor repair techniques, operation of equipment and hand tools, and grounds maintenance techniques.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety practices and use of materials.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet set deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision and to follow instructions exercising tact and diplomacy.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, and have an acceptable driving record.
- Provide, at own cost, a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Note: A Vulnerable Sector Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Vulnerable Sector Check with your application.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-576 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 24, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury has launched a survey to understand what prospective employees are looking for from an employer. Please take a few minutes to provide us with your input. Your responses will be anonymous. Thank you in advance for your participation in the survey!
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.