Maintenance Technician I EX21-411
Employment Opportunity Notice
The City of Greater Sudbury
Maintenance Technician I
Reporting Location: 744 Bruce Avenue
80 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required: Days/Afternoons)
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
Note: This position requires the employee to live on-site.
The Housing Operations Division, Community Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Maintenance Technician I. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current rate of pay for this position is $26.37 per hour.
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and Manager of Maintenance Services.
- Janitorial: minor cleaning when required includes; dusting, polishing, washing, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, shampooing, garbage collection, moving furniture, floor stripping, waxing vacant unit preparation, etc.
- Maintenance: minor repairs including; plumbing, electrical, heating/venting, carpentry, painting, flooring, ceramic tiles, hardware, appliances, drywall, vacant unit preparation, assistance with contractor entries into units, etc.
- Groundskeeping: maintenance including; mowing and trimming grass, pruning, planting, cultivating, watering, raking, sweeping, litter pick up, garbage collection, sanding, salting, clearing walks of snow and ice, etc.
- General: participate including, moving furniture/appliances, waste management/recycling program, showing vacant units to prospective tenants, assisting staff and contractors, assisting emergency officials, responding to emergencies and call outs, other related duties.
- Location of Work: primarily all buildings and properties within an assigned portfolio area and occasionally within all other portfolio areas, properties and buildings within the GSHC portfolio as assigned, including;
a. Interior Building – space/areas and rooms including; public, apartment units, service, storage, equipment, vacant units, etc.
b. Exterior Building – space/areas and rooms including; roof, balcony, wall, openings, garage, etc.
c. Grounds – yard area including; stoops, walks, service drives, lawn(s), parking, etc.
d. Other – assignments including; temporary redeployment to other areas.
- Recording and Accountability:
a. Complete building systems reports including preventive maintenance logs, work logs, smoke detector tests, fire log book, work order forms, inventory logs, WHMIS, etc.
b. Report to supervisor required maintenance repairs, progress reports, tenant disturbances.
c. Log tenant requests, complete and log work orders.
7. Will be required to participate in a standby rotation to perform after-hours emergency calls.
8. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial
Legislation listed therein.
9. Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over (1) year up to and including two and a half (2½) years of related experience.
- A good working knowledge, skill and ability to complete janitorial cleaning methods, minor repair techniques, operation of equipment and hand tools, and grounds maintenance techniques.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety practices and use of materials.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet set deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision and to follow instructions exercising tact and diplomacy.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, and have an acceptable driving record.
- Provide, at own cost, a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Note: A Vulnerable Sector Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Vulnerable Sector Check with your application.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.