Large Projects Support Officer EX20-026
Employment Opportunity Notice: EX20-026
Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
Estimated Probable Duration: Up to two (2) years
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Strategic Initiatives Section, Strategic Initiatives, Communications and Citizen Services Division, Office of the Chief Administrative Officer of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Large Projects Support Officer. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $29.76 to $37.54 per hour (subject to review).
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director of Strategic Initiatives, Communications and Citizen Services with day-to-day direction from the Project Managers.
- In conjunction with Communications, implement communication tactics, including but not limited to writing, print publications, social media tools, website content, events, speechwriting, key messages, briefing notes, presentation materials, media relations and advertising.
- Research and write content for website, digital media, marketing campaigns, promotional items, information flyers, brochures, speeches and speaking notes, presentations, letters, briefing notes and other for internal clients to enable them to build public understanding for City of Greater Sudbury (CGS) issues/programs, internally and externally.
- Develop content and oversee design and navigation of the Large Project’s online presence in accordance with CGS policy. Develop and implement initiatives to establish effective media relations and co-ordinate responses to media enquiries for CGS Large Projects. Identify and respond to opportunities for proactive media relations education with CGS and with the media including timely and knowledgeable strategic communications counsel and advice to City staff, as directed.
- Monitor and advise the Large Projects Team on emerging issues such as Council and Committee agendas and minutes as well as news announcements from other levels of government that can affect the success of the project deliverables, including news articles and social media feeds.
- In conjunction with Communications, oversee communication initiatives related to Large Projects from conception to final production including graphic design, translation, printing and e-media components and provide day-to-day direction and guidance to contractors associated with these projects to ensure the production of high quality, cost effective communication materials.
- Identify and monitor new trends to ensure CGS’s communications strategies related to Large Projects are inclusive, consistent, innovative and effective.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with stakeholder groups, including members of the media, government officials and community groups.
- Assist with developing and monitoring the budget for communications programs and campaigns in relation to the Large Projects.
- Coordinate purchasing processes for Large Projects and ensure contracts meet specifications.
- Process invoices as required ensuring invoices are consistent with contract terms and discrepancies are resolved.
- Coordinate multi-stakeholder meetings including scheduling, preparing and taking notes.
- Coordinate and facilitate preparation for community engagement events (e.g. special events, public open houses, media events).
- Compile background materials for meetings and project activities.
- Assist in the preparation and writing of various reports related to Large Projects.
- Liaise and coordinate project implementation with contractors, suppliers and CGS staff as appropriate.
- Assist with developing, preparing, administering and monitoring grant applications and project approvals.
- Work with the project team to assist in identifying accountabilities, cross-functional dependencies, road blocks, and developing appropriate measures and controls.
- Assist in planning and preparing documents and coordinate technical information for tender calls.
- Investigate, research, and determine best practices with similar organizations/projects and make recommendations for potential implementation.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- College Diploma in a related discipline (e.g. Communications, Public Relations, Business Administration) from a recognized Community College with Canadian accreditation.
- Over two and one-half (2½) years up to and including five (5) years of related experience.
- Knowledge of municipal organizations and/or political process.
- Superior organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and time management skills.
- Adaptable in a fast-paced environment, ability to exercise initiative and independent judgement and accurately complete multiple assignments under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision with a high degree of exactness and with a collaborative approach.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a highly political and complex environment.
- Ability to work with computer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (e.g. file maintenance, word processing, spreadsheet applications, presentation software, information input and retrieval, etc.).
- Excellent research and analytical skills as well as strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the community and related issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- May require the use of a personal or CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: email@example.com Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX20-026) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.