Land Reclamation Worker (6) EX22-945
Posting date: August 5, 2022
Job Title: Land Reclamation Worker
Number of Vacancies: 6
Posting number: EX22-945
Status: Contract positions
Estimated Probable Duration: until October 14, 2022
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: No
Range of Pay: $16.98 to $18.08 per hour
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: Frobisher Depot
Section: Strategic and Environmental Planning
Division: Planning Services
Department: Growth and Infrastructure
Main Function: Plant tree seedlings and vegetation as directed. Prepare and spread re-greening materials on pre-determined sites.
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Manager of Strategic and Environmental Planning and the direct supervision of the Supervisor of Land Reclamation and the day-to-day direction of the Land Reclamation Foreperson.
- Plant multi pot seedlings and vegetation as directed using approved planting methods and tools.
- Transport personnel, material and equipment.
- Ensure materials and equipment are accounted for and in working order.
- Perform daily vehicle inspection, routine cleaning and servicing of vehicles (e.g. topping up lubricants, fluids, coolants, fuel and air) and report defects, entering appropriate information in vehicle log book.
- Prepare bulk agricultural limestone for spreading on pre-determined sites.
- Spread fertilizer and custom seed on pre-limed sites.
- Fill vegetation trays and water jugs for transport.
- Dig vegetation and topsoil from forested areas for transplant.
- Cut trails for All Terrain Vehicles.
- Load and unload materials and equipment from All Terrain Vehicles, cube trucks and trailers in a manner that is safe and in compliance with both the Ministry of Transport of Ontario and the City of Greater Sudbury’s (CGS) procedures and standards.
- Ensure, by using a CGS weigh station, that truck weight limits are not exceeded.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
Additional educational initiatives to update and expand competencies an asset.
Minimum of one (1) year of responsible and related experience.
CGS’s Land Reclamation Program, an asset.
Demonstrate effective interpersonal and communication skills.
Work in a physically demanding position; outdoors in all weather conditions.
Walk for extended distances (2-8 kilometres) on uneven often perilous terrain, including unstable rocky hills, deep mud and slippery ascents and descents.
Handle loads greater than 20 kilograms, up to 28 kilograms.
Perform repetitive bending at the waist and repetitive arm motions with weighted tree bags hanging on shoulders.
Work in remote or isolated locations, often in harsh weather conditions.
Work in a team or independently.
Ability to drive a 4 tonne truck with a trailer.
Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
French verbal skills desirable.
Physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid Class “G” driver’s licence and have an acceptable driving record is required for 50% of Workers hired.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-945 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at email@example.com or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 18, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury has launched a survey to understand what prospective employees are looking for from an employer. Please take a few minutes to provide us with your input. Your responses will be anonymous. Thank you in advance for your participation in the survey!
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.