Land Reclamation Worker (14) EX21-158
Employment Opportunity Notice
**Extended Closing Date
The City of Greater Sudbury
Land Reclamation Worker (14)
Reporting Location: Frobisher
Estimated Probable Duration: May 3, 2021 to October 15, 2021
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
The Environmental Planning Initiatives Section, Planning Services Division, Growth and Infrastructure Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires fourteen (14) Land Reclamation Worker(s). The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $16.47 to $17.81 per hour.
Plant tree seedlings and vegetation as directed. Prepare and spread re-greening materials on pre-determined sites.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Environmental Planning Initiatives and the direct supervision of the Supervisor of Land Reclamation and the day-to-day direction of the Land Reclamation Foreperson.
- Plant multi pot seedlings and vegetation as directed using approved planting methods and tools.
- Transport personnel, material and equipment.
- Ensure materials and equipment are accounted for and in working order.
- Perform daily vehicle inspection, routine cleaning and servicing of vehicles (e.g. topping up lubricants, fluids, coolants, fuel and air) and report defects, entering appropriate information in vehicle log book.
- Prepare bulk agricultural limestone for spreading on pre-determined sites.
- Spread fertilizer and custom seed on pre-limed sites.
- Fill vegetation trays and water jugs for transport.
- Dig vegetation and topsoil from forested areas for transplant.
- Cut trails for All Terrain Vehicles.
- Load and unload materials and equipment from All Terrain Vehicles, cube trucks and trailers in a manner that is safe and in compliance with both the Ministry of Transport of Ontario and the City of Greater Sudbury’s (CGS) procedures and standards.
- Ensure, by using a CGS weigh station, that truck weight limits are not exceeded.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Additional educational initiatives to update and expand competencies an asset.
- Minimum of one (1) year of responsible and related experience.
- CGS’s Land Reclamation Program, an asset.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Work in a physically demanding position; outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Walk for extended distances (2-8 kilometres) on uneven often perilous terrain, including unstable rocky hills, deep mud and slippery ascents and descents.
- Handle loads greater than 20 kilograms, up to 28 kilograms.
- Perform repetitive bending at the waist and repetitive arm motions with weighted tree bags hanging on shoulders.
- Work in remote or isolated locations, often in harsh weather conditions.
- Work in a team or independently.
- Ability to drive a 4 tonne truck with a trailer.
- Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal skills desirable.
- Physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid Class “G” driver’s licence and have an acceptable driving record is required for 50% of Workers hired.