Grounds Maintenance (5) EX22-1099
Posting date: September 19, 2022
Job Title: Grounds Maintenance
Number of Vacancies: 5
Posting number: EX22-1099
Status: Limited positions
Estimated Probable Duration: October 31, 2022 to May 26, 2023
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes. Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. or 4:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (weekend overtime)
Rate of Pay: $26.77 per hour
Initial Reporting Location: Various
Division: Housing Operations
Department: Community Development
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Manager of Maintenance Services.
- Duties and Related Tasks:
- Operate various grounds equipment including, Trackless Mt, Bobcat, snowblower, sweeper, auger, loader, backhoe, dump trucks.
- Clear snow and ice from public sidewalks and roadways within the Greater Sudbury Housing Operations (GSHO) portfolio.
- Sand all sidewalks and slippery areas within the portfolio.
- Document each property visited and a description of work performed.
- Ensure proper maintenance of equipment.
- Report any incidents/accidents to the Manager.
- Ensure any garbage around the bins is cleaned up nightly.
- Clear snow from parking lot spaces when time permits.
- Clear snow from vacant unit driveways and sidewalks when time permits.
- Shovel snow on steps or around objects.
- Remove Icicles from above resident doorways
- Fill sand boxes, deliver salt bags to various properties
- Remove furniture, garbage and shopping carts from the properties
- Perform site litter clean up at properties
- Sweep parking lots and sidewalks
- Repair, replace chain link and privacy screen fences
- Repair and install lawns, repair sidewalks and driveways
- Perform exterior vacant unit preparations for rental
- Cut and trim trees and grass
- Location of Work:
- Primarily all buildings and properties within an assigned portfolio area and occasionally within all other portfolio areas, properties and buildings within the GSHO portfolio as assigned.
- Yard area including stoops, walks, service drives, lawn(s), parking, etc.
- Assignments including temporary redeployment to other areas.
- Recording and Accountability:
- Completing reports is an essential function of this position.
- Report to supervisor required maintenance repairs, progress reports, tenant disturbances.
- Complete and log work orders.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over (1) year up to and including three (3) years of related experience. Proven ability to operate equipment such as Municipal tractor and attachments.
- A good working knowledge of grounds maintenance duties.
- Demonstrated ability and skill to complete winter grounds work and techniques, operation of equipment and hand tools, and grounds maintenance techniques.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety practices and proper use of materials.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work and meet set deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision and to follow instructions exercising tact and diplomacy.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- All employees are required to treat residents with respect and tact while delivering excellent customer service.
- Provide, at own cost, a Criminal Reference Check.
- Requires the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s license, and have an acceptable driving record.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-1099 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at email@example.com or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Monday, October 3, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury has launched a survey to understand what prospective employees are looking for from an employer. Please take a few minutes to provide us with your input. Your responses will be anonymous. Thank you in advance for your participation in the survey!
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.