Emerging Technology Librarian EX21-002
Employment Opportunity Notice: EX21-002
Reporting Location: Main Library
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required)
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Libraries and Heritage Resources Section, Strategic Initiatives, Communications and Citizen Services Division, Officer of the Chief Administrative Officer of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires an Emerging Technology Librarian. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $32.65 to $39.95 per hour.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Libraries and Heritage Resources.
- Plan, implement and enhance library digital technologies and systems including software applications, web applications, mobile applications, Makerspace and other technologies.
- Investigate new emerging technologies for application in the library to enhance user experience.
- Provide leadership in planning and implementing the library’s technology strategy.
- Develop social media engagements strategies in collaboration with the Manager of Libraries and Heritage Resources and the Co-ordinator of Outreach, Programs and Partnerships.
- Provide reader’s advisory service and answer reference questions in person, by telephone or electronically.
- Serve as System Administrator for the library’s automated system in conjunction with the Manager of Libraries and Heritage Resources and the Co-ordinator of Collections.
- Oversee system-wide technical training and provide technical expertise to staff and the public.
- Liaise with CGS Information Technology Services to support the efficient operation of the library’s hardware and software resources.
- Instruct internal and external clients in the use of the library and associated search methods.
- Secure premises and set security system alarm.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of the CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Masters Degree in Library and Information Science from a recognized university with Canadian accreditation.
- Two and one-half (2½) years up to and including five (5) years of directly related experience.
- Knowledge of best practices within areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging library systems and electronic information services and resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various computer applications including Windows based systems, integrated library systems, Internet technologies and social media.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer hardware, operating systems, software and network architecture.
- Knowledge in HTML, XHTML and related software.
- Familiarity with multimedia and client/server applications.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving and research skills and creativity.
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills and attention to detailed work.
- Ability to demonstrate accurate keyboarding skills.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- May require the use of a personal or City vehicle on City business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Monday, January 18, 2021 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or facsimile number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX21-002) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.