Distribution and Collection Operator B (3) EX22-043
Posting date: January 10, 2022
Job Title: Distribution and Collection Operator B
Number of Vacancies: 3
Posting number: EX22-043
Status: Permanent Positions
Should there be no fully qualified candidates for these positions, less qualified candidates who can be expected to meet the required qualifications within a reasonable period may be considered for these positions as a training/development opportunity.
Range of Pay: $27.77 to $31.73 per hour
(Training Opportunity range of pay is $26.38 to $30.14 per hour. The successful candidates will be paid at the reduced range until the minimum qualifications have been met.)
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes – Shift work may be required
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: Frobisher
Section: Distribution and Collection
Division: Linear Infrastructure Services
Department: Growth and Infrastructure
Duties: Under the supervision of a Distribution and Collection Foreperson.
1. Perform all operational and maintenance functions necessary for the safe and efficient service to consumers of distribution and collection facilities.
2. Carry out hydrant inspections in an assigned area and ascertain whether the hydrants are in operable condition.
3. Report immediately to the Distribution and Collection Foreperson any defective or inoperable hydrants.
4. Layout, fit, assemble, install and maintain piping systems, fixtures and equipment for water and sewer installation.
5. Perform preventative and corrective repairs to distribution and collective facilities.
6. Collect samples and perform routine lab tests as directed.
7. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
8. Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Must be certified as an Operator In Training, and willing and able to complete certification as Water Distribution Level 1 and Wastewater Collection Level 1 within eighteen (18) months. Successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain certification in good standing.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years experience in water/wastewater operations.
- Able to effectively complete M.M.M.S. Crew Cards.
- Prepare reports and exercise good judgement in dealing with emergency conditions and with the general public.
- Able to communicate effectively with mobile radio equipment.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
- Complete knowledge of CGS’s distribution and collection facilities.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver's licence, and have an acceptable driving record.
- Must provide, at own cost, a Criminal Record Check.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting job posting number EX22-043 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 19, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
Interested applicants who have questions regarding certification are encouraged to visit the OWWCO website at www.owwco.ca
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.