Community Librarian EX22-067
Posting date: January 14, 2022
Job Title: Community Librarian
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting number: EX22-067
Status: Permanent position
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: No
Range of Pay: $35.89 to $44.04 per hour
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: New Sudbury and South End Library
Section: Libraries and Heritage Resources
Division: Strategic Initiatives, Communications and Citizen Services
Department: Chief Administrative Officer
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Manager of Libraries and Heritage Resources.
1. Ensure the efficient operation of the New Sudbury and South End Libraries; lead, guide and train staff; review and recommend operational procedures to the Manager of Libraries and Heritage Resources.
2. Investigate, recommend and participate in the planning and delivery of new services and programs. Keep abreast of new developments in the library field.
3. Perform branch collection development. Provide guidance, make recommendations and participate in collection evaluation, building and maintenance.
4. Perform public relations duties including tours, organizing displays and participating in community outreach events.
5. Act as a liaison with the community to develop partnerships and plan services that are responsive to community need.
6. Participates in the delivery of circulation, reference and readers’ advisory services to the public. Develops and maintains a strong public service team.
7. Instruct internal and external clients in the use of the library and associated search methods.
8. Resolve complaints from the general public in accordance with library policy.
9. Prepare and input payroll exception reports.
10. Prepare draft monthly staffing schedule for Manager’s approval. Arrange for emergency relief staff as required.
11. Ensure security of premises and act as key contact in case of emergency.
12. Ensure all equipment, building mechanical and electrical systems are functioning properly and contact appropriate company for repairs.
13. Requisition and maintain an adequate level of office supplies.
14. Prepare monthly and annual statistics.
15. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
16. Perform other related duties as required.
- Masters Degree in Library and Information Science from a recognized university with Canadian accreditation.
- Two and one half (2½) years up to and including five (5) years of library experience.
- Knowledge of best practices within areas of responsibility.
- Knowledge of library services and operations.
- Knowledge of various computer applications including Windows based systems (i.e. word processing, spreadsheet software, file transfer process, files maintenance, information input and retrieval and the Internet).
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to direct and motivate staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service and organizational goals.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Ability to develop collections in response to public need.
- Demonstrated interest in technological resources.
- Interest in effectively building partnerships in the community.
- Ability to make public presentations.
- Excellent use of English: verbally and in writing.
- French verbal skills desirable; written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX22-067 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 25, 2022. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and are happy to hire qualified (including education credential) applicants from anywhere. In order to hire a candidate one must be legally entitled to work in Canada, with legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.