Clerk's Services Assistant (Bilingual - English/French) EX21-395
Employment Opportunity & Training Opportunity Notice
The City of Greater Sudbury
Clerk’s Services Assistant (2)
(Bilingual – English/French)
Should there be no fully qualified candidates for these positions, less qualified candidates
who can be expected to meet the required qualifications within a reasonable
period may be considered for these positions as a training/development opportunity.
Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
1 – Permanent Position
1 - Limited Position
(Estimated Probable Duration: Up to Eighteen (18) Months)
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Some evenings and weekends will be required)
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Clerk’s Services Section, Legal and Clerk’s Services Division, Corporate Services Department, of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires two (2) Clerk’s Services Assistants (Bilingual – English/French). The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $26.01 to $30.19 per hour (Training Opportunity range of pay is $25.28 to $29.59 per hour. The successful candidates will be paid at the reduced range until the minimum qualification have been met).
Under the general supervision of the Manager of Clerk’s Services/Deputy City Clerk.
- Co-ordinate the administrative process and perform tasks associated with the preparation and distribution of open agendas, minutes, statutory notices and resulting correspondence for CGS Council and its Committees.
- Attend all CGS Council and its Committee meetings as assigned.
- Perform the duties of a Deputy Registrar, under the Vital Statistics Act, by virtue of appointment by the City Clerk, registering all death and stillbirth events occurring in CGS and District of Sudbury in accordance with Provincial legislation and issue burial permits and death registrations to funeral homes.
- Prepare and forward original registration records on deaths to the Office of the Registrar General.
- Issue marriage licenses in accordance with the Marriage Act, co-ordinate the booking of marriage ceremonies, perform pre-wedding meetings and prepare documentation for wedding ceremonies.
- Respond to all in person, telephone, mail and e-mail inquiries of a general nature related to the services provided by Clerk’s Services.
- Perform clerical duties for Clerk’s Services including but not limited to supporting administrative processes related to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests, ordering and maintaining supplies, organizing booking of meeting rooms and public spaces and cash handling duties, as assigned.
- Assist in records and file maintenance as well as statistics gathering and reporting.
- Provide peer training to other CGS employees and Citizen Service Representatives and advise same of changes related to the services provided by Clerk’s Services, as assigned.
- Act as a Commissioner of Oaths.
- Perform election duties as assigned and as outlined in the Election Plan.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as directed.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over two and one-half (2½) up to and including five (5) years of related experience.
- Highly competent and demonstrated ability in recording minutes.
- Demonstrate and proven ability related to microcomputer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment, (e.g. files maintenance, word processing, computerized spreadsheet applications, information input and retrieval).
- Demonstrate written communication skills
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Highly developed and demonstrated organizational skills, including the ability to meet multiple strict and recurring deadlines.
- Availability to regularly attend evening and weekend meetings.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal skills and a good working knowledge of written French is required.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.