Employment Opportunity Notice
The City of Greater Sudbury
Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
Estimated Probable Duration: Up to Seven (7) Months
(May be extended)
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Permits and Approvals Integration Section, Building Services Division, Growth and Infrastructure Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Clerk-Receptionist. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $24.06 to $27.78 per hour (subject to review).
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Director of Building Services/Chief Building Official and the day-to-day direction of the Manager of Permits and Approvals Integration.
1. Respond to inquiries from the public and stakeholders, providing general information relating to building permit applications, or applications in process, in a prompt, courteous and professional manner. Directing to appropriate staff as necessary.
2. Schedule appointments for public and stakeholders requesting services or issuance of permits and maintain a database of records of the same.
3. Prioritize correspondence, calls, visitors and complaints, and refer to appropriate department or official as necessary.
4. Input data into and retrieve information from CRM system regarding citizen complaints or customer service requests, escalating to management as necessary.
5. Receive and process fees for the Building Services Division relating to building permits issuance and legal search requests. Receive and process fees for Technical Services Division as required.
6. Complete the process of issuance of permits for all types of residential, industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sector on behalf of the Chief Building Official following final review by a Permit Processing Clerk and a plans examination by a Plans Examiner. Compile documentation package for the applicant associated with completing the permit issuance process; perform data entry for building permit files and other related matters.
7. File, maintain and retrieve data on computerized systems for the processing and tracking of applications, permits and inspections including a “Bring Forward” system.
8. Process requests for building inspections from telephone and online inspection system, and prepare inspection schedules for Building Inspectors, retrieving required project files and other correspondence necessary for inspections.
9. Maintain a post-inspection follow up system including inputs of completed inspections and other pertinent dates in the BP.Net system.
10. Ensure Orders issued by Chief Building Official are mailed to applicable property owner and monitor process of same.
11. Compile statistical data and other information related to customer service, inspection services and enforcement, and create reports pertaining to the same.
12. Compile and maintain database of Orders issued under the Chief Building Official.
13. Assist other staff members during periods of overload, vacation or absence. Performing related duties as required.
14. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
15. Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education, plus completion of some additional training or post-secondary education in a related discipline (e.g. arts, business, science, computers).
- Certificates in Customer Service Training or De-escalation Training considered as asset.
- Over one (1) year up to and two and one-half (2½) years of related office experience. Experience in Building Services or a directly related field (e.g. zoning administration, Committee of Adjustment) is preferred.
- Knowledge of Building Services and operations is an asset.
- Demonstrate excellent keyboarding and word processing skills.
- Demonstrate ability related to computer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (e.g. file maintenance, word processing, spreadsheet applications, information input and retrieval, etc.).
- Working knowledge of CGS’s Zoning By-laws and familiarity with documentation necessary for the issuance of a building permit an asset.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Excellent use of the English language; verbally and in writing.
- Excellent French verbal skills preferred and a working knowledge of French written skills a definite asset.
- Additional lingual competencies in other languages is an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Wednesday, October 20, 2021 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail to: email@example.com or facsimile number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX21-743) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.