Branch Assistant EX23-079
Posting date: January 23, 2023
Job Title: Branch Assistant (English Position)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting number: EX23-079
Status: Regular Part Time Position
Hours of Work: Up to 48 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes (Days, evenings and weekends)
Range of Pay: Group 7 – $25.66 to $30.03 per hour
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: South End Library
Eligible to Work from Home: No
Section: Libraries and Heritage Resources
Division: Greater Sudbury Public Library
Department: Officer of the Chief Administrative Officer
Duties: Under the general supervision of the Manager of Libraries and Heritage Resources or the Manager of Citizen Service Centres and the day-to-day direction of the Community Librarian or a Citizen Service Centre Lead:
1. Provide library services including circulation of library materials, placing reserves and renewing library materials, checking shelves for materials using search lists, processing deliveries and exchanges, cataloguing on the fly, sorting and shelving materials and reading and dressing shelves.
2. Provide reader service.
3. Receive and process registrations, fees and library facility bookings.
4. Receive revenue and issue receipts as required (e.g. library program fees, transit passes, dog tags).
5. Balance revenue received with payment stubs, receipts and cash register totals daily; prepare daily bank deposit.
6. Ensure security of revenue in cash register and safe at all times by closing each and testing same.
7. Reconcile bus pass and ticket revenues and report same to Transit on a monthly basis.
8. Resolve minor complaints from the general public within pre-set parameters.
9. Record customer service requests/complaints in accordance with established protocols.
10. Ensure security of premises.
11. Enter monthly statistics as required.
12. Perform typing, filing and miscellaneous clerical duties.
13. Repair damaged books.
14. Shelve library materials and read and dress shelves. May shift books (e.g. major move or reorganization).
15. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
16. Perform other related duties as required.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education plus completion of some additional training or post-secondary education in a related discipline (e.g. arts, science, computers).
- Over six (6) up to and including twelve (12) months of library experience.
- Knowledge of library services and operations.
- Knowledge of various computer applications including Windows based systems, library automated systems, word processing, spreadsheet and complaint handling software.
- Ability to demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills and attention to detailed work.
- Ability to demonstrate accurate keyboarding skills at a moderate rate of speed.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and employment history.
How to Apply:
Résumés quoting EX23-079 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at email@example.com or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Friday, February 3, 2023. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining an equitable, inclusive, diverse and accessible work environment. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. To find out if you’re eligible and for more information, visit our Applicants Living Outside of Canada web page. If you received your education from an educational institution outside of Canada, a copy of your Word Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) document is required, along with your credentials. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.