Advanced Care Paramedic (2) EX20-487
Employment Opportunity Notice: EX20-487
Reporting Location: Lionel E. Lalonde Centre
80 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required)
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
Important: There is 1 document (Applicant Completion Guide) required to complete this process.
Applicants are required to complete an Applicant Completion Guide.
If you are viewing this job through a site other than www.greatersudbury.ca/jobs, This Applicant Completion Guide can be found on the job posting on our website: www.greatersudbury.ca/jobs. The mandatory documentation outlined in the guide shall be used as the short listing tool for further consideration. Those successful to the short list will be contacted for further assessment.
Those applicants who are successful to the short list and contacted for an interview will be advised when they will be required to complete a Paramedic Pre-Employment Health Status form. Please do not submit this form with your application. This is for information purposes only at this time and to avoid having applicants incur unnecessary costs upon application. Candidates will be advised when they will be required to initiate this package.
The Paramedic Services Division, Community Safety Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires two (2) Advanced Care Paramedics. The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $36.40 to $44.42 per hour.
Under the general supervision of the Platoon Superintendent.
- Provide Primary and Advanced emergency medical care while ensuring the safe and timely land transportation of ill or injured persons to, from and between medical treatment facilities.
- Perform Primary and Advanced emergency medical care and controlled acts under the direction of the Base Hospital Medical Director, and in accordance with the patient care standards and procedures set out by the Ministry of Health, legislation, regulations and Quality Assurance program.
- Perform Primary/Advanced emergency medical care as indicated above when functioning as a first responder.
- Drive emergency vehicles in all weather conditions, in a safe and secure manner, in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and Division policies and procedures.
- Maintain contact and comply with direction from the Central Ambulance Communications Centre (CACC) at all times regarding vehicle movements, status of ambulances, call assignments and the transportation of patients to medical facilities or required destination.
- Complete, in a timely manner, all required patient and administrative documentation specified in the Ambulance Act, Regulations, Standards, Divisional and base hospital policies and practices, including Ambulance Call Report forms. Ensure safekeeping of patient records.
- Liaise with CACC, families, base hospital staff, police, fire and other health professionals/agencies to ensure relevant patient information is collected.
- Provide a detailed patient report to appropriate medical staff (e.g. physician, nurse, etc.) at the receiving Facility.
- Inspect the ambulance and all equipment at the start and throughout the shift to ensure they are in proper working order, and in a clean and sanitary condition. Carry out housekeeping duties within the ambulance stations and ambulance vehicles, ensuring the areas are maintained in a clean, sanitary condition.
- Check and ensure the vehicle is stocked at all times with adequate supplies and equipment.
- Ensure vehicles, stations, equipment, supplies and controlled drugs are maintained in a safe and secure manner at all times.
- Participate in mandatory training programs, continuing medical education programs, quality assurance programs and divisional training programs, as required.
- Assist with and provide preceptor activities in support of Advanced Life Support training.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as may be required.
- Successful completion of a diploma in Emergency Care/Paramedicine from a Community College in Ontario.
- EMCA or A-EMCA certified by the Ministry of Health.
- Certification as an Advanced Care Paramedic in the Province of Ontario in accordance with all Patient Care Standards and Medical Directives.
- Possess CPR certificate.
- One (1) year experience as a Primary Care Paramedic.
- Experience working with an Advanced Life Support preceptor is considered an asset.
- Ability to exert heavy physical effort required to treat and move patients, deliver medical equipment or sort inventory at station and in ambulance.
- Good knowledge and application of BLS/ALS Patient Care Standards, Base Hospital Policy and Procedures, related Acts and Regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members and make decisions in an emergency situation.
- Possess good map reading abilities and initiative toward enhancing local geographical knowledge.
- Possess professional advanced driving skills combined with compliance to the Highway Traffic Act.
- Professional application of the Restricted Radio Operator's licence.
- Ability to work under stressful situations and exercise sound judgement in an emergency environment.
- Ability to work closely with entire healthcare team.
- Ability to identify patient treatment needs through adequate assessment and provide appropriate care in accordance with the Advanced Life Support Standards and base hospital certification.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with patients, the public, other ambulance services, base and receiving hospitals in a courteous and effective manner.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing. French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Provide, at own cost, a current Criminal Records Check.
- May require the use of a personal or CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, must hold and maintain a driver's licence that authorizes the person to drive an ambulance, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé and Application Completion Guide in confidence by Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 4:30 PM by: e-mail to: email@example.com or facsimile number: 705-688-3979. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EX20-487) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.