At their January 9, 2018 meeting, City Council selected 240 Elgin Street, the Sudbury Community Arena site, as the preferred site to construct the Library/Art Gallery shared facility and the Convention/Performance Centre, or simply put, The Junction.
This will be one site and two projects. One of the similarities of these projects is that both are striving to be gathering places. The Working Groups for the Library / Art Gallery and the Convention/ Performance Centre have decided to create a unified identity for the site and they have chosen “The Junction” for the following reasons:
- Definition is “a point where two or more things converge”
- It speaks to what the projects are striving for
- It is broad enough to capture the activities of the site
- Junction Creek runs just north of the site
- The streets Elgin, Minto and Van Horne create an intersection or junction
- The Sudbury Junction (1883), the original name of the Canadian Pacific train station that is across the street from the selected site