Location of the Arena/Events Centre
How was the location for the Arena/Event Centre determined?
March 7, 2017:
- Council passes a resolution that approves criteria and weighting criteria to evaluate sites for an Event Centre.
June 27, 2017:
- Staff presents Council with two recommended site options for the Arena/Event Centre: a Downtown location or the Kingsway location.
- Council approves the Kingsway location.
- View the June 27, 2017 Council meeting agenda and reports.
- Watch the June 27, 2018 Council Meeting.
Has the proximity of the Sudbury Landfill been considered as part of the site selection process?
Yes, the proximity of the Sudbury Landfill has been taken into consideration as part of the Kingsway Entertainment District site plan.
The Sudbury Landfill follows modern practices. Waste that is ultimately buried is covered each day to control scavengers and to minimize odour, litter and storm water infiltration.
All activities follow a certain operating procedure and are routinely monitored by the site’s Environmental Compliance Approval with the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change.
Over the past four years, the City has received approximately 60 complaints regarding odours associated with the landfill. The Sudbury Landfill is located northeast of the Kingsway Entertainment District. Prevailing winds in Greater Sudbury are from the northwest.