Special Events Officer
Employment Opportunity Notice
Special Events Officer
Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
Estimated Probable Duration: May 5, 2014 to
November 28, 2014
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Evening and Weekend Work Required)
*A Criminal Records Check is required in advance of starting employment in this position. Please contact Police Services at 705-675-9171 Monday to Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm for information on how to obtain a Criminal Records Check.*
The Recreation Services Section, Leisure Services Division, Community Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Special Events Officer. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $22.53 to $26.38 per hour (Rate in effect as of April 1st, 2014).
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over one (1) year up to and including two and a half (2½) years of directly related experience in facilitating special events, festival planning, and/or leisure services programming.
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills.
- Ability to demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Evening and weekend work required.
- Knowledge of various computer applications including Windows based systems, word processing, computerized spreadsheet applications, files maintenance, information input and retrieval, Internet.
- Knowledge of the Arts, Cultural, and Non Profit Organizations in the community
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
- Provide at own cost, a Criminal Records Check.
Under the Direct Supervision of the Manager of Recreation Services or Designate:
- Assist in the administration of special events including ensuring insurance requirements are met and the contract has been approved prior to the start of each event.
- Responsible for the monitoring of the events’ operational procedures and performance in accordance with applicable legislation.
- Ensure compliance with the Alcohol Risk Management Policy By-Law at all CGS facilities.
- Act as liaison between the Leisure Services Division and citizens, and/or community groups booking CGS parks and gazebos.
- Responsible for providing equipment (if available), confirming bookings, assisting in scheduling of the Grace Hartman Amphitheatre Advertising Board, handling administrative and organizational tasks.
- Arrange for security, traffic control, fire precautions, Special Occasion Permits, etc.
- Organize the daily work to be performed by the Special Events Assistant (Summer Student) as directed by the Recreation Co-Ordinator.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Thursday, March 20th, 2014 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EO14-068) on your resume. For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.