Employment Opportunity Notice
Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
Estimated Probable Duration: Up to Seven (7) Months
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Engineering Services Division, Infrastructure Services Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Records Clerk/Typist. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $21.88 to $25.73 per hour.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over one (1) year up to and including two and one-half (2½) years of related office experience.
- Demonstrate ability for speed and accuracy in keyboarding skills at a minimum of 50 w.p.m.
- Demonstrate ability related to microcomputer software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (e.g. files maintenance, word processing, spreadsheet applications, information input and retrieval).
- Demonstrate organizational ability and attention to detailed work.
- Demonstrate ability to serve the public in a courteous and effective manner.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Physical capability to operate a vehicle safely, possession of a valid driver’s licence and an acceptable driving record will be considered an asset.
Under the Direct Supervision of the Administrative Assistant to the Director of Engineering Services:
- Maintain a uniform central records system including appropriate "Bring Forward" (BF) procedures.
- Assist with the co-ordination and preparation of all engineering tender documents and related correspondence.
- Receive, record, and distribute mail and retrieve appropriate background material in accordance with established procedures.
- Type forms, memos and correspondence, contracts and documents.
- Receive funds from and issue receipts to contractors for the sale of contract documents and plans.
- Receive phone calls and visitors for the Department and direct to proper staff; respond to routine inquiries.
- Separate and recommend the destruction of inactive records in accordance with departmental procedures and the Retention By-law.
- Update all manuals (i.e. designers' manuals, price book and tender opening list)
- Recommend the acquisition of adequate filing supplies, including filing cabinets.
- Assist other secretarial/clerical staff during times of overload, vacation or absence.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as may be required.
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EO14-330) on your resume. For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.