Manager of Finance
Employment Opportunity Notice
Manager of Finance
Reporting Location: 199 Larch Street
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Finance Section, Social Services Division, Community Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Manager of Finance. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $2,871.40 to $3,380.30 bi-weekly.
Education and Training:
- University degree in a related discipline (e.g. Business Administration or Commerce) from a recognized University with Canadian Accreditation.
- Professional Accounting designation (CGA, CMA, CA).
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the finance section of a large, unionized, and highly diversified public or private sector organization, including: two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Applicable legislation and related regulations.
- Current and emerging management issues within the Social Services Division.
- Best practices within areas of responsibility.
- Horizontal linkages to other relevant governmental levels and services.
- Financial analysis and planning, with particular reference to municipal finance.
- Microcomputer software applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet applications) and computerized administrative systems).
- Application of CGS policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements and applicable legislation.
- Understand and meet the needs of customers.
- Prepare operating and capital budgets for the Division and the Employment Support Services Section.
- Build the values of the organization into programs, services and policies.
- Anticipate and manage the impact of change on the Division’s activities.
- Manage the financial, human and physical resources of the Section in a collaborative manner.
- Manage conflict; mediate disputes; assist in reaching consensus.
- Respond quickly to emerging opportunities or risks.
- Interpret and advise on By-Laws and Provincial/Federal Regulations.
- Maintain confidentiality, exercise good judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Mental and physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal skills highly desirable; written skills an asset.
- May require the use of a personal or CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, have an acceptable driving record, and personal insurance coverage.
Responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of financial policies and strategies for the Social Services Division.
Under the Direction of the Director of Social Services:
1. Evaluate the financial impact of Municipal, Provincial and Federal changes on the activities of the Division and develop strategies for managing changing legislation.
2. Develop, evaluate and implement financial strategies relating to the ongoing operations of the Division for the purpose of improving operations, increasing efficiency, etc.
3. Assist sections within the Division with financial strategic planning and policy development, as required.
4. Develop and undertake performance measurement evaluations for components of the Division to assess effectiveness, efficiency and compliance with policies and procedures.
5. Provide financial and analytical support to senior management of the Department for special projects, as required.
6. Plan, develop and monitor the annual operating and capital budget for the Division.
7. Assist with the preparation and execution of the Annual Business Plan for Social Services.
8. Supervise the operations of the Finance Section including:
- Responsible for ongoing financial analysis and account reconciliation.
- Develop, implement and monitor the internal financial control systems for the Division.
- Hire, supervise and conduct annual performance appraisals, salary reviews and discipline in accordance with the respective Collective Bargaining Agreement and CGS policies and procedures.
- Ensure proper and effective training of Section staff through adequate scheduling, training and motivational techniques.
- Negotiate, establish and monitor purchase of service agreements.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the Annual Service Contract.
- Develop, revise and update accounting procedures, as required.
- Maintain payroll information for the Division.
9. Liaise and consult with CGS’s Finance Division other government agencies and associations on financial and technical issues, as required.
10. Ensure integrity of the financial systems as it relates to the operating division in order to ensure timely and accurate financial data is available to Management.
11. Prepare written reports for and make presentations to Senior City Staff and Council. Provide support in the writing of internal and external communication.
12. Develop and maintain policies and procedures for Social Services relating to Finance.
13. Analyze and report on trends related to Performance Measurement/Benchmarking indicators.
14.Represent the Division on provincial associations, work groups and task forces, as required.
15. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
16. Perform other related duties as required.
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Thursday, December 12th, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. to: Citizen Service Centre, c/o The City of Greater Sudbury, P. O. Box 5000, Station "A", Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: (705) 673-7219 or by e-mail to: email@example.com . Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EO13-635) on your resume. For further instructions on how to apply for this position, click here .
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.