Health Care Aide(s)
Employment Opportunity Notice
*Extended closing date
Health Care Aide(s)
Reporting Location: 960 Notre Dame Avenue
Part Time Positions
Up to 48 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required)
Applications will be considered for both current and future vacancies and will be kept on file for the next six (6) months.
The Resident Care Section, Long Term Care Services Division, Health, Social and Emergency Services Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires Health Care Aide(s). The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $24.03 to $25.24 per hour.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Graduation from an approved Personal Support Worker Program from a Community College or successful completion of a minimum of one (1) year of Post Secondary Education in a Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse Program in accordance with the Long Term Care Act.
- Training in U-First, Montessori or PointClickCare is an asset.
- Training in Gentle Persuasive Approaches (GPA) is an asset.
- Up to six (6) months of directly related work experience.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Provide, at own cost, a Criminal Record Check.
- Provide, at own cost, a Two-Step Mantoux Test (TB).
- Provide, at own cost, N95 Mask Fitting size.
- For Lodge Home Area: Provide, at own cost, a valid Food Handler Training Program Certificate.
Under the general supervision of the Program Co-Ordinator and the day-to-day direction of a Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse:
- Provide complete Resident health care as directed and outlined in home procedures (e.g. hygiene, shaving, bathing, grooming, palliative care, etc.).
- Position and ambulate Residents as required to promote comfort and health and in accordance with the Resident Care Plan.
- Ensure Resident safety consistent with policies and procedures.
- Serve food trays, verify special diets and feed Residents as required.
- Assist Residents with activities to promote self-reliance and self-esteem for rehabilitation purposes.
- Utilize the nursing process to observe and communicate information regarding the physical and emotional well-being of the Resident to the health team (e.g. activities, fluid intake/output, appetite, etc.).
- Assist Registered Nurse/Registered Practical Nurse with updating Resident Care Plans.
- Document pertinent information legibly, accurately and concisely on flow sheets and as required.
- Ensure mechanical equipment and supplies used for Resident care are properly maintained and used in a safe and effective manner.
- Clean and organize utility rooms and cupboards as required.
- Maintain communication and collaborate with all members of the health care team, Residents and Families.
- Participate on committees as required.
- Continue self growth through professional development.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of Home’s Nursing Policies and Procedures Manual and the Corporate Manual.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Note: *A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.*
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Wednesday, December 16th, 2015 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: email@example.com. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EO15-373 *Revised) on your resume. For further instructions on how to apply for this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.