Employment Opportunity Notice
Reporting Location: Lionel E. Lalonde Centre
Limited Regular Part Time Position
Estimated Probable Duration: Seven (7) Months
(May be Extended)
Up to 48 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required)
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Strategic and Business Services Section, Health, Social and Emergency Services Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Custodian. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current rate of pay for this position is $19.84 per hour.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Minimum six (6) months of directly related Custodial experience in a large commercial or institutional setting and demonstrated knowledge and use of janitorial equipment and cleaning supplies.
- Ability to use tools and equipment required to perform the work, e.g. wet/dry mops; brooms; automatic sweepers; floor scrubbers; polishers; burnishers; carpet cleaners; vacuum cleaners; dust pans and brushes; moving dollies and carts; ladders; hand tools; power washers, lawn movers; lawn tractors; grass trimming equipment; snow shovels; snow blowers.
- Ability to use a variety of cleaning supplies and chemicals common to the work being performed.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 40 lbs, push/pull carts and equipment up to 30 lbs, use ladders to reach high places, withstand long periods of walking/standing and frequent bending/twisting.
- Ability to steer and manipulate large carts and equipment through congested areas.
- Ability to complete and maintain Daily Work Performance and Preventative Maintenance Logs.
- Ability to receive revenue, process transactions and issue receipts as required.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated practical abilities in general maintenance and working knowledge of plumbing, carpentry and minor construction.
- Demonstrated basic computer literacy utilizing MS Office software and the ability to receive/respond to emails and to order on-line.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and best practices within areas of responsibility.
- Ability to demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner.
- Satisfactory use of English; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal skills an asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Provide, at own cost, a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver's licence and have an acceptable driving record.
Under the direct supervision of the Manager of Strategic and Business Services:
- Perform various functional duties to ensure the cleanliness, safety and security of the facility, its equipment and furnishings.
- Ensure a clean and sanitized environment; clean offices, meeting rooms, classrooms, gymnasium, cafeteria and kitchens including dusting, polishing furniture, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, washing walls and windows etc. Ensure cleanliness of furniture, fixtures and equipment. Sanitize all washrooms and change rooms including toilets, urinals, sinks, countertops, mirrors, walls, stalls, showers, floors etc. and replenish supplies.
- Maintain floors and corridors throughout the facility including mopping, sweeping, stripping, waxing, burnishing and polishing etc. Perform regularly scheduled floor, carpet care and maintenance.
- Clean and maintain dormitory rooms and common areas including making and changing beds, laundering linens, vacuuming carpets, dusting, polishing furniture, washing walls and windows etc.
- Collect and prepare garbage and waste for pick-up and disposal.
- Set up/take down furniture and equipment in accordance with client’s needs.
- Ensure the safety and security of the facility including setting alarm systems and taking part in the Fire/Evacuation plans.
- Keep entrances, sidewalks, walkways and pathways clean and clear of all hazards including snow, ice, debris etc.
- Perform grounds keeping projects including snow/ice removal, grass cutting/trimming, sweeping and raking leaves etc.
- Perform routine maintenance, repairs and, minor construction including painting, drywall, carpentry, minor plumbing etc.; secure and maintain tools/equipment.
- Maintain Daily Work Performance and Preventative Maintenance Logs.
- Receive revenue, process transactions and issue receipts as required.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Note: *A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.*
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Friday, August 14th, 2015 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EO15-343) on your resume. For further instructions on how to apply for this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.