Employment Opportunity Notice
Reporting Location: Tom Davies Square
Estimated Probable Duration: Up to Twelve (12) Months
70 Hours Bi-Weekly
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
The Building Services Division, Growth and Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires a Clerk-Receptionist. The successful candidate must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current range of pay for this position is $21.32 to $24.33 per hour.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Over one (1) year up to and two and one-half (2½) years of related office experience in a similar field (i.e. building, development, etc.).
- Demonstrate keyboarding (a minimum of 50 words per minute) and word processing skills.
- Demonstrate ability related to micro software and administrative systems in a Windows environment (i.e. file maintenance, word processing, spreadsheet applications, information and input retrieval).
- Knowledge of building terminology and building application processes an asset.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
- Demonstrate organizational and administrative skills and ability to exercise judgement in procedures and methods used.
- Demonstrate ability to handle large volume functions.
- Demonstrate ability to function within a team environment.
- Excellent use of the English language; verbally and in writing.
- French verbal and written skills a definite asset.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Physical capability to operate a vehicle safely, possession of a valid driver’s licence and an acceptable driving record, will be considered an asset.
Under the Supervision of the Co-Ordinator of Permits and Approvals Integration:
- Act as receptionist and respond to general public enquiries concerning the status of building permit applications, schedule appointments for inspections, or direct public to the appropriate staff.
- Prepare daily inspection schedules for Building Inspectors, retrieving required project files and/or other correspondence necessary for inspection, and maintain a post inspection follow-up system.
- Ensure Orders issued by Chief Building Official are mailed to applicable property owner; monitor progress of same.
- Prioritize correspondence, calls, visitors and complaints and refer to appropriate official.
- Assemble Building Permit documentation for applicants (i.e. building permit application, approvals, drawings, building permit, etc.) as required; compile statistical data and other information pertaining to building permit applications (i.e. number of clients/visitors, number of inspections, etc).
- Perform typing for building permit projects and other related matters.
- File and maintain permit records, correspondence and other pertinent information including a “Bring Forward” system. Maintain computerized data for processing and tracking applications, information and permits.
- Act as cashier (i.e. collect fees, issue receipts, etc.) as required.
- Maintain and update procedure manuals.
- Assist other staff members during periods of overload, vacation or absence.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Tuesday, March 10th, 2015 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EO15-065) on your resume.
For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.