Arena Maintenanceperson (4)
Employment Opportunity Notice
EO14-313 to EO14-316
Arena Maintenanceperson (4)
Reporting Location: Various Arenas
Seasonal Part Time Positions
Estimated Probable Duration: Until May 1, 2015
Up to 48 Hours Bi-Weekly
(Shift Work Required)
Start Date to Follow Selection Process
*A Criminal Records Check is required in advance of starting employment in this position. Please contact Police Services at 705-675-9171 Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for information on how to obtain a Criminal Records Check.*
The Arenas Section, Leisure Services Division, Community Development Department of the City of Greater Sudbury, requires four (4) Arena Maintenanceperson(s). The successful candidates must possess the qualifications and perform the duties, as set out below. The current rate of pay for this position is $27.14 per hour.
- Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
- Possession of a Refrigeration Operator “B” Certificate, where applicable under the Act. Where the act does not apply, Basic Refrigeration Level 1 is required.
- Three (3) years of experience involving the utilization of at least one (1) construction trade such as carpentry, plumbing or electricity and knowledge of tools and materials involved in the mechanical trade.
- Proven dependability to be able to work without direct supervision.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
- Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
- Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
- Provide at own cost, a Criminal Record Check.
- May require the use of a personal or CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver's licence and have an acceptable driving record.
Under the General Supervision of the Manager of Arenas or Assistant Manager of Arenas and the Day to Day Direction of the Arena Maintenanceperson Lead Hand:
- Act as a general handyman in performing a variety of duties connected with maintenance, repair, minor construction, grounds keeping.
- Maintain ice surface by utilizing arena refrigeration systems and ice re-surfacer.
- Conduct regular scheduled ice surface maintenance, edging ice build-up/shaving, whitewashing, lining, curele and logo painting.
- Perform the function of janitor to the buildings.
- Deliver equipment, supplies and material by designated vehicle.
- Requisition supplies and materials for maintenance, repair and construction work.
- Maintain surveillance and minor service to mechanical, electrical and refrigeration equipment: reports abnormalities or breakdown of equipment or vandalism to the Manager of Arenas or designate Assistant Manager of Arenas.
- Maintain all records in accordance with the Operating Engineers Act.
- Maintain Daily Work Performance and Preventative Maintenance Logs.
- Maintain Daily Heating System and Refrigeration Plant Logs.
- Assist with the co-ordination of set-up of special events and functions.
- In the absence of the Manager of Arenas, designate Assistant Manager of Arenas, Arena Maintenanceperson Lead Hand, protect the Facility, collect monies from ice rentals and accept responsibility for monies generated by the canteen and tickets sales, oversee and instruct part time maintenance staff and security personnel in the safe performance of their duties.
- Maintain a good corporate image of the Department and CGS.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS's Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualified candidates should submit their résumé in confidence by Monday, September 15th, 2014 at 4:30 PM to: Citizen Service Centre, The City of Greater Sudbury, PO Box 5000, Station A, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, Facsimile number: 705-673-7219 or by e-mail to: email@example.com Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. Please reference the Employment Opportunity number (EO14-313 to EO14-316) on your resume. For further instructions on how to apply to this position, please visit our How to Apply section.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair and equitable work environment, and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, you must advise the Hiring Manager.