What YOU Can Do
EarthCare Minute - Local Food
- Plant a backyard vegetable garden.
- Join a community garden.
- Preserve seasonal local produce for year-long enjoyment.
- Shop at Market Square for local food items.
- Buy food from stores specializing in local and regional foods.
- Look for local produce in your grocery store.
- Buy food directly from local farmers.
- Join a Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) program.
- Participate in a Good Food Box program.
- Take the 150 mile diet challenge by eating only local food for a week, a month, or a year!
- Buy food that has been locally grown.
- Avoid using pesticides in your vegetable garden.
- Avoid using plastic grocery bags.
- Minimize your food miles when grocery shopping.
- Submit a request to the municipality that your agricultural property be added to the agricultural reserve.
- Grow food on agricultural land.
- The Foodshed Project Initiatives
- Greater Sudbury Community Gardens
- Sudbury Master Gardeners
- Sudbury Horticultural Society
Food Preparation Resources
- What you should know if you're home canning
- Foodland Ontario – For recipes straight from our kitchen to yours
- EatRight Ontario, Toll-free 1.877.510.5102
- Northern Vegetarian Society, Phone: 705-207-6556
- Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts’ Community Food Directory 2015
- Sudbury Food Policy Council
- Sustain Ontario
- EarthCare Sudbury Food Access Map
Local Food Programs
Local Food Sources
- The Market (in downtown Sudbury)
- Eat Local Sudbury Cooperative Inc.
- Northern Flavours
- Valley Growers
- Josephine's Vegetables