What YOU Can Do
EarthCare Minute - Local Food
- Plant a backyard vegetable garden.
- Join a community garden.
- Preserve seasonal local produce for year-long enjoyment.
- Shop at Market Square for local food items.
- Buy food from stores specializing in local and regional foods.
- Look for local produce in your grocery store.
- Buy food directly from local farmers.
- Join a Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) program.
- Participate in a Good Food Box program.
- Take the 150 mile diet challenge by eating only local food for a week, a month, or a year!
- Buy food that has been locally grown.
- Avoid using pesticides in your vegetable garden.
- Avoid using plastic grocery bags.
- Minimize your food miles when grocery shopping.
- Submit a request to the municipality that your agricultural property be added to the agricultural reserve.
- Grow food on agricultural land.
- The Foodshed Project Initiatives
- Community Gardens in Sudbury
- Sudbury Master Gardeners
- Sudbury Horticultural Society
Food Preparation Resources
- Food Security Directory 2011-2012 (PDF 1.35 MB)
- Community Food Security Initiatives – North East Ontario
- Sudbury Food Policy Council
- Sustain Ontario
Local Food Programs
Sudbury Good Food Box Program (Interview on YouTube)
Local Food Sources
- Market Square – Downtown Sudbury
- Eat Local Sudbury Cooperative Inc.
- Northern Flavours
- Boreal Cuisine
- Valley Growers
- Josephine's Vegetables
Farm Directories – Northern Ontario
Northern Ontario Agri-Food Education and Marketing (NOAFEM) (PDF 117.94 KB)