Responsible Pet Owners Check the By-law when Adopting Other Animals
The City of Greater Sudbury Animal Care and Control By-law allows residents to keep the following animals as pets, in addition to dogs and cats:
- A maximum of six rabbits over eight weeks of age either indoors or in an escape proof rabbit hutch that is at least 0.5 metres above the ground, 1.2 metres from the property line and 12 metres from the nearest neighbour
- A maximum of 10 Pigeons in an escape and rodent proof loft built with smoothly finished walls that can be easily cleaned at least every six months, at least 0.5 metres above the ground, 1.2 metres from the property line and 12 metres from the nearest neighbour. The floor of the loft must be washed weekly with soap and water. Pigeons must not leave the loft at any time.
- Any number of Tippler, Homing and Racing Pigeons, provided the owner is a member of a recognized pigeon club and the loft meets the specifications for Pigeons under By-law. Tippler, Homing and Racing Pigeons must wear a leg band issued by the recognized pigeon club and may leave the loft for one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon.
- A maximum of six mice, rats, guinea pigs, hamsters or gerbils in any combination in an escape proof enclosure
- A maximum of two ferrets in an escape proof enclosure
- A maximum of two non-venomous snakes or two non-venomous lizards, neither of which may exceed 1.2 metres (4 feet) in length, in an escape proof enclosure
- A maximum total of six domestic cardinals, finches, budgies, bulbuls, canaries, tanagers, amazons, cockatoos, onures, macaws, parakeets, cockatiels, lorikeets, touracos, toucans, orioles, mynahs, magpies, barbets, ascaris, pied hornbills or cock-of-the-rocks, in any combination in an escape proof enclosure
Regardless of species, pet owners must provide food, water, exercise, attention and veterinary care to keep their pets in good health. Waste must be disposed in a sanitary manner.
To file a complaint about a resident who is not providing proper care or shelter for an animal, please contact Greater Sudbury By-law Compliance and Enforcement Services by dialing 3-1-1 Mondays to Fridays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or email email@example.com TTY: 705-688-3919
The provincial Dog Owner’s Liability Act (R.S.O. 1990 c. D. 16) places restrictions on ownership of the following breeds:
- A pit bull terrier
- A Staffordshire bull terrier
- An American Staffordshire terrier
- A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those of dogs referred to in any of clauses (a) to (d)
The legislation allows individuals to keep these restricted breeds under the following circumstances:
- The restricted breed was in the possession of the pet owner prior to August 29, 2005
- The restricted breed is spayed or neutered
- The restricted breed is on leash and muzzled in public places
There are exceptions and additional requirements for owning a restricted breed. Please visit the website of the Ministry of the Attorney General for details.